Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Food For Thought: Black Entrepreneurs???

I know this is an overstated topic, but it really hit home for me today. I was in a beauty supply store. It appeared as if there were only two people working in the store while I was there (others could have been in a storage/stock room or something), and both of them happened to be Black women. One of the women was very helpful, she seemed very knowledgeable of the ins and outs of the store. As I was checking out, I asked if she was the owner of the store, to which she replied, "No, I just run it." I gathered my things and made my exit.

As I was leaving the store I took a second look at the items for sale in the store and this question came to mind...

Who said it was O.K. for Asians to capitalize on the sale of Black culture?... Which inspired a more in depth train of thought.

It is apparent that Black culture sells. Black culture and pop culture are almost synonymous these days. However, when you look at the face of who is profiting from turning Black/urban culture into mainstream culture (the ones making the big bucks), it sure isn't doesn't look like mine; chances are it's probably white and male.

Why is this?... Why does it seem as if Black people lack entrepreneurial drive?...

Then it occurred to me... Maybe it's just the perpetuation of an American tradition. I mean... since the beginning of the United States of America's existence Blacks were being sold to the general public as a commodity.

Is it possible that somehow this way of thinking has been woven into the subconscience of African Americans as a whole? Are there external pressures sending subliminal messages that Black people are unfit to own a prosperous business?...

Or maybe it's not subliminal at all. In 2004 Blacks accounted for only 4% of small business in America, I would assume that that number has not grown enough to mirror the percentage of Black people living in America today. It is undeniable that Blacks have historically been denied access to the economic, educational and institutional resources to become successful entrepreneurs. And now when the playing field seems level the situation is still dire.

I could go on and on, as many thought linger in my head... But I'll leave you with these...

Who said it was O.K for other cultures to profit on the sale of Black culture?
Are there subliminal/subconscious (societal) elements discouraging Blacks from owning their own businesses?
Are there still institutional barriers in place today that deny Black people access to a different/better/more profitable lifestyle?

Just my thoughts...

Sincerely,

TSH

3 comments:

Baxter E. said...

That is such a good point. That post is very similiar to my post a couple of days ago. What is it that's keeping us down? Those that don't have power, sometimes will do anything to get it. And those that have it, sometimes will do anything to keep it. Sometimes those of us who don't have a dollar, will do anything to get...well you get my point. Excellent point.

lisbeth said...

how is this for irony... my asian husband happens to work for a black man who is an entrepreneur. his name is andrew and he has owned/operated his own business for more than 12 years now. i guess i am saying it's out there... even if it's not prevalent.

J Swift said...

Proisperous immigrants migrate to america and benefits from tax exemptions for immigrants business openers. most of these businesses are low level businesses that are easy to get in and out of. (liquor stores,dollar stores, etc.) Very good observation tho.

Post a Comment